Family planning is not all about “Lowering the number of babies” or contraception methods, but about the complete guideline of reproductive health that makes us prepared to start from puberty to the different reproductive phases of our life. Of course, Family planning allows people to attain their desired number of children and determine the spacing of pregnancies. It is achieved through the use of contraceptive methods and the treatment of infertility. However, we should prepare our future generation with every single information at an early age to avoid risk so that they can take a better decisions.
During puberty, adolescents go through a lot of physical and mental changes that also prepare them for their reproductive phases. In that stage, they need to know that they must maintain a proper healthy balanced diet that helps them to boost their fertility. When infertility has been a taboo in our society, family planning must address the Infertility and Its Management. When we can ensure that we can provide adequate information to the young people about reproductive health, that’s when we can address family planning with contraception methods. We also have to meet the unmet need of unmarried sexually active group in Bangladesh
Family planning for married people:
Why use family planning?
You have the right to choose how many children to have and when
How can family planning help you?
• Healthier mothers and children
• Fewer children means more time and money for each one
• Delaying pregnancy lets young people stay in school
– Mothers and babies are healthier when risky pregnancies are avoided.
– Smaller families mean more money and food for each child.
– Parents have more time to work and to be with family.
– Delaying first or second pregnancy lets young people stay in school.
Things to Consider
– Many young people need contraceptives to delay pregnancy. Ideally, young women and men should wait until at least 18 years or have finished studies and are ready before having children.
– After having a child, it is healthier to wait at least 2 years to try to become pregnant again.
– Having more than 4 children makes childbirth riskier.
Comparing family planning methods
There are many methods to choose from.
• Some are more effective than others.
• Some are easier to use and some are harder to use.
• Methods that are harder to use may be less effective if you don’t use them correctly.
Methods I can provide now:
• Breastfeeding method counseling
• Standard day’s method counseling
• Withdrawal counseling
• Emergency contraceptive pills
Methods provided at the clinic:
• Female sterilization
Frequently Asked Questions
Do family planning methods make people sterile?
- NO – Only female sterilization and vasectomy are permanent
- with all other methods, couples can have a child soon after stopping
- Couples who have never had a child can safely use family planning and have a baby soon after stopping
Do family planning methods cause cancer?
- NO – In fact, some family planning methods can help prevent certain cancers
Does family planning cause birth defects?
- NO – No method of family planning causes birth defects, even if used during pregnancy
How is vasectomy different from castration?
- Castration is the removal of testes. In a vasectomy, however, the testes are not touched at all. The tube that carries sperm is cut. This keeps sperm out of semen, but it does not decrease sexual function or affect ejaculation.
Do family planning methods cause weight gain?
- Some women have some change in weight when using hormonal methods. The weight changes are usually small
Can young people use family planning safely?
- YES – Young people can use non-permanent methods and go on to have children after stopping
All people at risk of STIs/HIV or AIDS should use condoms even if they also use another method